The Difference Between CR1 Visa and IR1/IF1 Visa

Ladies, take note and be aware what category visa you would get once in US. Either you will come to US as Spouse Visa or Fiancee Visa, 

"The deciding factor on which visa an applicant is issued (IR1 versus CR1 visa) is the amount of time that they have been married at the time the visa is issued. If an applicant has been married to their US Citizen spouse for a period of two years or greater they will be issued an IR1 Visa. If they have been married less than two years they will be issued a CR1 Visa. A CR1 Visa will result in the applicant obtaining "conditional" permanent residency within the US and after a period of two years the applicant can apply to "Remove Conditions" 90 days before the conditional permanent resident card expires and they will be issued a regular 10 year green card".

My case:
I came here in US and married my fiance in June 1999 and did not get my green card until after July of 2001. Take note: I got my green card after 2 years of being married  to my US Citizen spouse which supposedly I should be getting a category IF1 not CR1. As stated above "If an applicant has been married to their US Citizen spouse for a period of two years or greater they will be issued an IR1 Visa(if you came as spouse visa and IF1 if fiancee). My greencard was considered as ADMINISTRATIVE ERROR. At the time category didn't mean anything to me. Until I tried to remove my conditions that's when I realized "OH Shoot!" I should have called USCIS to replace my greencard from CR1 to IF1 category. I thought filing I-751 (Removing Conditinal) after 2 years was the right action since my visa was conditional. Oh boy was I wrong!
My Attorney insisted that I shouldn't file I-751 since it was USCIS fault for giving me the wrong category on my GC.. Instead, my attorney insisted to file I-90 to replace my greencard due to USCIS Administrative error. Took one year for USCIS and my attorney to work on my case and I got denied. There's my US 3k down the drain. That's how much I paid to have an attorney fights for my case. When I got the denial  noticed, my attorney ask for another $3k to reopened my case which is called MOTIC plus the Application for MOTIC itself was $600 dollars at the time, I do not know how much its cost for MOTIC now.

While my attorney were working on my denial case to appeal, I contacted Pensacola Congressman at the same time. To make it short, I didn't know if the Congressman help speed the process of my approved green card or it was just an extra red tapes and money for the applicants. I got my IF1/10 years green card in the mail one month after filing the MOTIC.

You ladies really need to get this category check before putting this GC on your wallet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments will put smiles on my face!